Contact Us

Futterman & Lanza, Attorneys at Law

- -

Special Needs Planning

Special needs planning may be needed for a child born with special needs or an adult. In both instances, there are several issues that need consideration including, but not limited to the following:

  • Is a Guardianship proceeding necessary to appoint someone to make health and financial decisions for the disabled individual?
  • What type of Guardianship proceeding (Article 17A or Article 81) is appropriate?
  • When should a family start the Guardianship proceeding?
  • How can family and parents provide for a special needs person? Should they be excluded from your will or estate plan? Is there a better solution, such as a trust?
  • Who should be named as trustee for a trust set up for a disabled person’s benefit?
  • What are the responsibilities of a trustee?
  • Is a Special Needs Trust appropriate and who can create it?
  • Is a Supplemental Needs Trust appropriate and who can create it?
  • What is the difference between Special Needs Trusts and Supplemental Needs Trusts?
  • Governmental programs that may be available such as:
    • Medicaid,
    • Supplemental Security Income
    • Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), and
    • Medicare (yes, even if they are less than age 65).

Free consultation We offer a free initial consultation with an elder law and estate planning attorney.

Call : 631-979-4300
Resources | Sitemap | Privacy | © Copyright Futterman & Lanza, LLP

Attorney Advertising: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.